Page principale du site Web officiel de Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux Canada
About the Reports
The Sector Profiles provide a statistical and economic overview of the poultry and eggs sectors as well as the beef sector. The reports are based on a number of key indicators such as supply and disposition, prices paid to producers, farm cash receipts and prices paid by consumers at the retail level.
- Beef Industry Profile
- Egg Industry Profile
- Chicken Industry Profile
- Hatching Egg Industry Profile
- Turkey Industry Profile
- Consumer Profile
- Canada had 410 fewer farms reporting cattle and calves in 2020 than in 2019. Approximately 60% of farms reporting cattle in 2020 were located in Western Canada.
- A little over 3 million head of cattle were slaughtered in Canada in 2020, which represents a 3% decrease over 2019.
- Beef and veal closing stocks were 38 thousand tonnes in 2020, an increase of 12% relative to 2019.
- On January 1st, 2020, beef cattle inventories were 9.7 million head, a decrease of 3% compared to a year ago and a drop of 13% relative to 10 years ago.
- In 2020, Canada had 33 more registered egg producers in 2020 than in 2019. Since 2010, the number of producers in Canada has increased by 18%.
- Egg production in Canada increased by 3% in 2020 relative to 2019
- Egg stocks on December 31, 2020, were 1.1 Mkg, a decrease of 37% over last year.
- A total of 20.9 million dozen shell eggs were imported in 2020, a decrease of 54% compared to 2019.
- In 2020, Canada had 16 more registered chicken producers in 2020 than in 2019. Since 2010, the number of producers in Canada has increased by 6%.
- Chicken production has increased by 25% since 2010.
- Compared to 2019, farm cash receipts from chicken production increased in all provinces in 2020 with the exception of Ontario (-1%).
- Chicken stocks on December 31, 2020, were 59 Mkg, an increase of 4% over last year.
- Since 2010, the number of producers in Canada has declined by 6%.
- Turkey production has averaged 166 Mkg (eviscerated) since 2010.
- Compared to 2019, farm cash receipts from turkey production decreased in all provinces in 2020.
- Boneless skinless breast meat inventories decreased by 20% in 2020 from 2.6 Mkg to 2.1 Mkg, marking the lowest boneless skinless breast meat stocks since 2016.
Hatching Egg Industry
- In 2020, Canada had 4 fewer registered hatching egg producers in 2020 than in 2019. Since 2010, the number of producers in Canada has decreased by 6%.
- Hatching egg production has averaged 726 million eggs since 2010.
- Compared to 2019, farm cash receipts from hatching egg production declined by 6% in Canada in 2020.
- In 2020, 117 million broiler hatching eggs were imported which represents a decrease of 9% compared to 2019.
- Compared to 10 years ago, food in general cost consumers 31% more in 2020.
- A high proportion of that increase was due to meat, which cost 52% more in 2020 than 2010.
- Beef prices increased the most of the major proteins in 2020 when compared to 2010.
- Relative to the previous year, the largest retail price increase in 2020 was observed in large white eggs (12%), whole frozen turkey
(10%), prime rib roasts (9%) and blade roasts (8%).
To receive a copy of any of the reports, please contact:
Farm Products Council of Canada